We face a lot of endings in this line of work. Projects end, postings end. Jobs end, and sometimes careers. We change countries and friendships end. Some of us are instinctively good at endings; others, not so much. If you’re in the second group, here are some self-coaching questions that can help you process endings:
- What does ending this friendship/job/overseas post make space for in my life?
- What can I now do as a result of this ending that I could not do before?
- What did I learn from this thing that is ending?
- How will this ending influence my life going forward?
- How does this ending fit into the story of my life?